HILLBURN, N.Y. – The St. Thomas Aquinas College Sprint Football team fell to Army West Point, 34-7 on Saturday evening at the Torne Vallley Sports Complex.
STAC (2-4, 2-2 CSFL North) is now 1-2 at home this season. The Spartans accumulated 120 yards of total offense with 129 coming through the air and -9 yards on the ground. On the other side, the Black Knights (5-1, 3-0 CSFL North) had 328 yards of total offense.
Leading the defensive effort was Sheriffh Bittaye, who registered 2.5 sacks for a total loss of 11 yards in addition to picking up a team-leading 9 tackles in the contest.
STAC HIGHLIGHTS AND GAME NOTES
- Ernest Stallworth Jr took a 65-yard pass from Matt Yuvienco in for 6 points late in the Fourth Quarter. Stallworth finished with 2 receptions for 82 yards and a TD.
- Quarterback Kiel McKenzie went 4-for-11 for 47 yards and threw 3 interceptions.
- Quarterback Matt Yuvienco went 2-for-5 for 82 yards and a touchdown.
- Jimmy English had 3 receptions for 38 yards.
- Edward Ortiz had 7 tackles.
- Carlos Fernandez had 6 tackles and an interception, which he returned for 29 yards.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Army opened the scoring with 2:40 remaining in the opening quarter on a five-yard pass from Ryan Sullivan to Justin Charette that put the Black Knights ahead 7-0.
- Army added to its lead when Ryan Sullivan connected with Tom Williamson on a 16-yard touchdown catch that gave the Black Knights the 14-0 advantage.
- With 3:44 remaining in the opening half, Army went up 21-0 thanks to a one-yard plunge into the end zone from Matthew Sauter.
- Seppi Ortman drilled a 43-yard field goal with 11:20 left in the third quarter, which gave Army the 24-0 lead.
- On St. Thomas Aquinas' next drive, NaVonte Dean returned an interception 54 yards for the touchdown, putting the Black Knights up 31-0.
- With 10:54 left in the contest, Army gained the 34-0 lead, as Seppi Ortman split the uprights from 32 yards out.
- STAC broke the shutout with 8:22 remaining in the game with a 65-yard touchdown pass from Matt Yuvienco to Earnest Stallworth, which put the score at 34-7.
St. Thomas Aquinas College will host Chestnut Hill College in the Spartans 2019 regular season finale. The game will take place on Saturday, November 2nd at the Torne Valley Sports Complex in Hillburn, NY. Kickoff is set for 6pm with Senior Day festivities preceding the match-up.