CALDWELL, NJ – The St. Thomas Aquinas College women's tennis team traveled to take on Caldwell University on Monday and left with a 7-2 victory to open the season. After finding themselves in a 2-1 hole after the doubles portion, the Lady Spartans swept all six singles matches to secure the win.
Freshman Cassandra Rohr (Mallorca, Spain) made her collegiate debut a special one, as she teamed with Nyenyeri Kanefu (Rutherford, NJ) to win 8-0 at third doubles. Rohr would then go on to win her singles slate in unblemished straight sets, 6-0, 6-0 in the #2 singles matchup. At the #3 spot, Kanefu won the closest match of the day, besting her opponent with a 7-5, 6-3 score. The pair were the only double winners for STAC.
After a rocky debut at first doubles, freshman Lovisa Engstrand (Stockholm, Sweden) found her rhythm in first singles, winning 6-3, 6-1 for her first collegiate victory. Sara O'Brien (Orangeburg, NY) breezed through a 6-0 first set and ground out a 6-4 win in the second, ultimately clinching the match for the Spartans. Carolyn Kopf (Garnerville, NY) showcased a blistering forehand and won at fifth singles, 6-0, 6-0, while Katarina Lopez (New City, NY) rounded out the scoring with an 8-0 win.
Next up for the Lady Spartans is an away match on Wednesday, September 13 at Post University. First serve is set for 3:00 PM, weather permitting.
STAC 7, Caldwell 2
1. Ryan/Ortarola (CU) def. Engstrand/O'Brien (STAC), 8-6
2. Jimenez/Donaldson (CU) def. Kopf/Lopez (STAC), 8-5
3. Kanefu/Rohr (STAC) def. Romano/Tang (CU), 8-0
1. Lovisa Engstrand (STAC) def. Valeria Ortarola (CU), 6-3, 6-1
2. Cassandra Rohr (STAC) def. Rebecca Ryan (CU), 6-0, 6-0
3. Nyenyeri Kanefu (STAC) def. Janis Jimenez (CU), 7-5, 6-3
4. Sara O'Brien (STAC) def. Shannon Donaldson (CU), 6-0, 6-4
5. Carolyn Kopf (STAC) def. Claudia Romano (CU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Katarina Lopez (STAC) def. Amy Tang (CU), 8-0
Order of Finish: Doubles (3, 1, 2) Singles (2, 1, 3, 4*, 5, 6)